Richard and Elizabeth Wootton

Richard and Elizabeth Wootton lived at Great Haywood in Colwich from at least 1762 until 1790s and possibly later.  The couple may have married in Birmingham in September 1757, when a Richard Wootton married an Elizabeth Hipwood.  The timing of the marriage fits well with a first baptism (a daughter called Ann, baptised in Stafford in June 1758).  The couple who appear in the Colwich overseers’ vouchers baptised a daughter called Mary in the parish in January 1762, a son called William, and two more daughters called Peggy and Lydia.  The Woottons made part of their living by supplying the paupers of Colwich with clothing.  In the decade 1786-96 they received a total of £25 16s 5.75d from overseers of the poor for fabric, hats, coats, and haberdashery.  They were not the only ones to receive money from the Colwich overseers for clothing and their competitors included another couple, Thomas and Anna Turner, who appear to have all but supplanted them for parish business 1788-91, but the Woottons returned to the accounts in the 1790s.

NB: this biography is a work in progress and will probably be amended in future as further information from vouchers and other sources becomes available.